Monday, June 22, 2009

Welcome

Welcome to The Tall Dark Stranger There..., a fan's simple yet sincere appreciation of Jack Kelly.

Mr. Kelly was an actor best known for his role in the television series Maverick. However, he had a long, varied career that stretched from Hollywood to City Hall (he served for a time as mayor and city councilman in Huntington Beach, CA).

Until a few months ago, I really didn't know--or care--much about Jack Kelly. Oh, I knew he was the 'other guy' on Maverick, but I never saw him on the show. Or, at least, I don't remember if I did. I only knew James Garner as Maverick.

And, for the longest time, I assumed Jack Kelly was Grace Kelly's brother. I later learned Princess Grace did have a brother named Jack, but he wasn't Jack Kelly the actor.

That was the extent of my Jack Kelly knowledge: Bret Maverick's brother, yes; Grace Kelly's brother, no.

Then, a very sad time in my life occurred. My mother was hospitalized early in 2009 during what turned out to be her final battle with heart failure. I would spend my mornings with Mom and go to work in the afternoon.

Before going to the hospital every morning, I'd turn on the television just to hear the sound of another human voice in the house. I had enough sadness in my life then, so I avoided the morning news shows.

One day, I clicked onto the Encore Westerns Channel. Maverick was just starting, so I watched it for a while.

Now, I was never really into Maverick before (I preferred 'serious' Westerns such as Have Gun--Will Travel and Gunsmoke), but I found myself tuning into it each morning. I could never watch an entire episode, because Maverick started at 9:00 am and I tried to be at the hospital by 10:00, when Mom's doctors usually made their rounds. But, what I saw of it, I enjoyed, and it helped lift my spirits a little.

At this point, Encore was airing the final episodes of Maverick, which means they all starred Jack Kelly (James Garner had left the show in a contract dispute by then).

I thought Kelly did a good job as Bart Maverick. But, he was just part of the series in general to me--I didn't take any special notice of him at that time.

Sadly, Mom's condition continued to deteriorate. I had no time or desire to watch television. I stayed close to Mom's side until the very end...


After a couple of months had passed, my life began slowly settling back into its normal routine. I worked full days again. When I came home, I just wanted to relax and get away from the world. I discovered that Encore showed Maverick in the evenings, too. They were showing some of the earlier episodes, and I became better acquainted with Bart Maverick.

There was one episode--The Jeweled Gun, I believe--where Bart removes his jacket and reveals his tall, lean frame clad all in black.

I was instantly smitten. And, I wondered, how on earth did I ever miss this Jack Kelly guy?!

I streaked onto the Internet and looked up everything I could find on the man.

Thus, The Tall Dark Stranger There... is here to share some of the stuff I've learned about Jack Kelly. And, to share some of the stuff I've bought pertaining to Mr. Kelly. Mostly, though, it's just a fun place for JK fans. I hope you'll mosey on over whenever you can. :)

7 comments:

  1. I enjoy visiting this sie and you have a lot of information about Jack Kelly. I am glad you mentione the Facebook Fan site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness, can two people have the same experience. Like you, I just mosey over to the Encore Western Channel to relax a little as I get real relaxation from watching the old westerns and lo and behold I came upon Maverick and guess what, I saw this tall good looking man in the comedic roles and got hooked. I have tried to watch everything from the one episode in the mornings to the two episodes in the evenings on the Western Channel. What was I missing all these years. I tried feverishly to get as much as I can on Jack Kelly, but so little is written about him. I even tried to find out more about his mother Nan Kelly Yorke. Good of you to do this for us. I search the internet whenever time I get to absorb more about Jack Kelly. I love the Quaker Oats Commercial. His voice reminded me of the Maverick Series Maverick and Juliet, I think that was the title of the episode. His voice sounded so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Thanks for stopping by, and for your kind comments about this site. I guess Maverick on Encore has made many of us aware of Jack Kelly, even after all these years. I still can't believe I completely missed him before! I'm making up for lost time now. It's fun finding out more about JK and seeing (and hearing) him in different roles. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi
    Bartista,
    Just went all the way back to the beginning of your site again to reread how you became a Jack Kelly fan. <3
    I noticed you also like/d? Gunsmoke and Have Gun Will Travel. I love to watch each of those shows, too. Always loved Gunsmoke...but, just re-discovered HGWT as an adult, and I love it, too!
    Have a wonderful week!
    Always, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've backtracked through much of this blog to the first entry and think it's real one of a kind in my experience, a blog devoted to one of the leads in my favorite television series. I keep harping on an omission that's come to seem eerie to me at the moment, though. You mention initially thinking that Grace Kelly was his sister but so far I haven't seen a single reference anywhere on the blog to his real sister who was a real movie actress, Nancy Kelly, who enjoyed a huge career in movies during the late 30s and early 40s (leading men include Tyrone Power and Spencer Tracy in the same year) and was nominated for an Academy Award the year before her younger brother began on "Maverick." I noticed this and, as I went through the blog, it became downright mysterious. They resemble each other enough so that you can practically tell at a glance that they're brother and sister but to judge from the blog, she never existed. Every other known facet of his life is explored but there's no mention whatsoever of his much more successful former A-list movie leading lady sister. (Of course I realize she's not the focus of the blog but to literally never mention her, ever, is so intriguing that I have to ask about it.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Michael! Thanks for all of your insightful comments--I'm still catching up on them. :-> Actually, I didn't mean to slight Nancy Kelly. In fact, I'm planning to devote a post to her in the near future. Also, there's a link to a very nice news article that mentions Ms. Kelly on the December 28, 2009, post. It's the second link in the bulleted list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kelly was actually overshadowed in his life by two siblings, an actual sister and a fictional brother; hard to say which was worse. His earlier life as Nancy Kelly's kid brother was practically a good rehearsal in a way for his subsequent turn as Bret Maverick's brother. I assume that the book on Kelly explores this a bit. I have to get a copy of that eventually.

    ReplyDelete