Monday, November 23, 2009

The Civic Jack Kelly

Hey!

Would you vote for this man?



OF COURSE YOU WOULD!!! :)

So, here's your ballot:




Now, you may be asking, "Where did she get that?"

Well, I'll tell you--but don't blame me if you're late for work tomorrow. Because, I guarantee, you'll be spending the next few hours (or maybe even days) poring over PDFs of actual documents from Jack Kelly's tenure as City Councilman and Mayor in Huntington Beach, CA.
:->

Here's how to see them:

Go to this website and type in Jack Kelly (without quotation marks).

If that link doesn't work for some reason, here's the main link for the City of Huntington Beach's official website. On the home page for the site, scroll down to the "Public Records Search" button.

There's loads of other interesting stuff on this website, including a centennial video. I skimmed through the video (it's nearly an hour long) and didn't see anything about JK, but I could have missed something. I'll watch it again when I have more time.

Happy reading! :)

3 comments:

  1. This is a really interesting find, Bartista! Sounds like you did alot of research, too, to find the info'. As always, thank you for your site!
    Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday!!
    Always, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janet!

    I couldn't believe it when I typed in 'Jack Kelly' on the HB site and all those documents popped up.

    It truly thrills me to know that JK wasn't just an actor 'playing mayor'. These documents prove that he really was working hard to get things done in HB. There's some touching stuff in there, too, like in the 9/16/91 City Council minutes it says, 'Nicole Kelly and friends wished Councilman Kelly a happy birthday' (how sweet!). And, JK attended his last council meeting on 11/2/92, only five days before he passed away.

    Well, thanks again for your kind words, Janet, and I wish you a blessed and safe Thanksgiving!

    Yours, 'B' :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am beside myself over this site!!!! I found the meeting minutes for the two meetings my friends and I attended on 7/21/80 and 8/17/81!!! I'm going to print those out and keep them! There is all the stuff I remembered, like the "rabbit man" and the discussion on newspapers and the old guy from the mobile home park and everything!! This is awesome!!!! (Can anyone tell I'm excited? LOL!)

    ReplyDelete