Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Jack Kelly - Part II of "Bart"...Plus a Bonus! :)

Howdy Folks!

Here's Part II of "Bret and Bart Running Close Race"...and stay tuned for a special bonus story (or stories, I should say):

"'When I [JK] entered the picture (in November 1957), Jim [Garner] had a half-dozen films out and was a well-established hero. The mail came in from the dissenters, saying why give us this guy--we want Garner. If I'd been Warner Brothers, I'd have said, 'Let's get rid of this bum', and fired me.

'But instead, they sent out a form letter telling the audience to have patience. A great snow job. And gradually, as I got over my nerves, I could only improve.'

Jack credits Jim Garner with helping him over his early Maverick nerves, and says they never discuss their rankings or ratings as co-stars on the top ABC show. Because, 'We work too hard even to see each other.'

Kelly was born on the plains of Long Island, and has worked most of his 31 years as a child model and Broadway actor, a student lawyer, an Air Forceman, and actor in TV and Class B movies.

When he won the audition for Bart Maverick, he realized it would mean hard work for less salary. 'I decided to cut my salary in half,' he says cheerfully, 'so that perpetuity might be served. After working at odds and ends most of my life, there's great satisfaction in the knowledge that I may become a success.'"

PART III NEXT TIME!!! :->

Now here's the special bonus. We've been reading about JK's Maverick days above. I've been going through Google again, and I found some fascinating stories about his later career:
  • In 1973, JK acted up a Storm with some students in Alabama (great pix here, too, and a review that calls JK "suave and virile". ) ;->
  • JK was an international investor in 1975, but he still "Love'd" acting
  • JK got back down to business in 1978. But, he still had time to watch some TV--and guess what show he loved to watch? (You probably watched it, too--I did! :->)

No comments:

Post a Comment