Tuesday, February 27, 2018

"Why I Like Country Music" Pt II :)


Howdy Y'all!

Presenting Part II of Jack Kelly's article "Why I Like Country Music", prefaced with a gorgeous photo of JK and his wife Donna. In this part, Mr. K introduces us to more of his favorite country singers and songs: 

"My personal affection developed for the guitar, for it's hard to resist the harmonious, overall effects country artists create with the instrument. Then comes the fiddle...as a matter of fact, there is something about all 'strings' which gives one that homey feeling--a desire to be real neighborly-like.

I feel 'country' means just what it says. Somewhere along the line the need was recognized to musically express the endless anecdotes uncovered during the development of this country, and a great balance of the country tunes are based on situations that actually happened. Compound the history factor with the inventiveness of modern country authors, and you find that besides instrumentation there is a story to be heard which reeks of the Americana we should all be justly proud of.

I can't say exactly who, or what, is responsible directly for my interest in country music, but I feel a simplicity and directness as the underlying basis for its appeal to me. From that sense alone I can select my likes and dislikes. I can jump from one artist to the other and get a completely different style every time. This aspect fosters an appeal that should be there for everyone to enjoy.

Take, for example, The Collins Kids. 
 

 
Their brassy, impetuous, lively presentation has led them to headlining in one of the largest hotels on the Las Vegas strip. I can jump from them to Burl Ives and sit listening over and over again to 'Blue Tail Fly'.
 


I may be taking a little bit for granted, but for me country music spills into many areas. Ernie Ford is one of my favorites. He stirred up a storm with a little ditty called 'River of No Return'.



Then, there's Jim Brown of the Rin Tin Tin series. Yes, he has a few pop tunes working for him, but he did churn up some mighty fine country tunes for MGM. One of the best things I've ever heard Jim do is his recording of 'The White Buffalo'.



He fractures 'Wagon Wheels', not to overlook a little gem called 'Ghost Town'.

And I enjoy hearing Tex Williams narrate his misadventures brought on by smoking cigarettes; and what a job he does on another of his conversational items...'playing cards with a one-eyed, sleight of hand expert'.



 
Country music has offered me such a selection that I couldn't dislike it if I wanted to. I could add many more reasons for its appeal to me...the 'Hank Williams', all the 'Jimmie Rodgers', 'Eddy Arnolds', 'Red Foleys', and so forth, and in re-reading this article, I think a better conclusion to it would be a change in its beginning from 'WHY I LIKE COUNTRY MUSIC' to 'WHO DOESN'T???'

EDITOR'S NOTE: Jack, your reasons are sincerely and very effectively stated. Thank you for holding hands so affectionately with our interests. We're sure that everyone who reads your story will be more proud than ever of their musical preference."

[B27: I know I am! :>]


I had a blast transcribing Jack Kelly's article for this post and listening to his favorite country songs. What wide-ranging taste in music this guy had!

I thought I knew my country and rockabilly music, but I never heard of The Collins Kids before--how did I miss this dynamic duo?! I literally had chills going down my spine when I listened to their rockin' version of "Lonesome Road" for the first time. (Thanks for the introduction, JK!)

And, I had no idea that JK's old pal Jim Brown of Rin Tin Tin fame was also a singer--what a voice!

It was a pleasure to be able to take JK's words from nearly 60 years ago and join them to today's technology so we can all listen to the country artists and songs he loved. I hope you enjoyed them, and if you weren't a country music fan before, I'm sure you are now! :)

What's next in TDS? Please stay tuned and find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment