Wednesday, April 11, 2018

JK in AZ :)


Howdy!

Fifty-nine years ago today (and tomorrow), Bart Maverick, er, Jack Kelly, appeared "IN PERSON!" at John F. Long's International Home Show in Phoenix, Arizona:


While in Phoenix, JK also put in an appearance at a local Jeep dealer:
 
 
 Now, here's the scoop on JK and wife Donna/May Wynn's arrival in AZ on Friday 4/10/59 (I love the headline--just wish the photo was clearer!):

The bemused local newspaper reporter, Charlotte Buchen, didn't quite know what to make of the cowboy from Queens:
 
"I do declare--television's Bart Maverick ain't like no cowboy I ever saw.
 
Bret's 6-foot, brown-eyed little brother stepped down from an American Airlines plane here yesterday morning looking very much like the man about town on the streets of New York. He's here for the John F. Long International Home Show. 
 
Wearing a gray suit that might well be the pride of Brooks Brothers, Maverick's white teeth sparkled as he beamed a matinee idol smile upon dozens of admirers who caught his arrival.  
 
'I don't live the part of Maverick,' he said, 'although I'd love to do Maverick forever.'
 
Like the rugged individualism of the show that has brought his face and name to millions, he defies the Buck Jones era of gun-slinging 'personality' cowboys.
 
'The Western ideas on the moral-telling story are over,' he said with the clipping accent of a dramatic star. 'No longer must there be right conquering might, where the mortgage property must be free and clear from the villain who goes to his demise.'
 
Whew!
 
'Maverick', he continued, 'is the charming and fortunate man of the West with no ties to responsibility. He counteracts drollness and doesn't care if it's right or wrong.'
 
What the Maverick show has done for the actor in the brother role is to give him 'constant and prestige exposure of a national nature.'
 
Although 'I was successful for some 8 to 10 years prior to the Maverick show, such a force of concentration was never exerted on my career,' he added.
 
As he told a television newsman at the close of an on-the-spot interview at the airport, 'It might be nice if you told the listeners that my name is Jack Kelly.' So be it said.
 
Kelly, the man, turned away from a potential career in law to become an actor. After two years in law school, he asked his father for one year to prove himself on stage.
 
With reasonable success that year, he moved on to successes on stage and in films. 'Until 1951,' he admitted with a big smile, 'I was afraid of horses.'
 
Under contract to Universal, he was taught everything from wielding a sword to slinging a gun. When it came to learning to ride, he balked.
 
"But I was told that if I didn't take [riding] along with the rest, it would mean I wasn't serious about my career. So, I went out with the wranglers on the farms, and after a series of lessons, I found I wasn't petrified anymore.'
 
'Now I love horses, and I know that once a fear is faced it can be controlled and conquered.'
 
As he chatted, his wife, the former May Wynn, actress in her own right, sat sedately by as a woman who has turned her ambitions to her husband's interests.
 
'We have very little time for social life,' she said, 'with bedtime at 9 p.m. and getting up every morning at 5:45.'
 
Drawing a light for two cigarettes in the best Charles Boyer tradition, her handsome husband beamed down on her as he handed her one. 'We've been married for three years. I hope it will be 30.'
 
The Western star will appear at the home show from 2 to 4 p.m. today [Saturday] and tomorrow [Sunday] at West Indian School Road and 57th Street."
 
Where will TDS travel next in pursuit of JK? Please stay tuned and find out! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment